Visit Har Ki Pauri
Har ki Pauri is a renowned ghat on the banks of Ganga River in Haridwar, Uttarakhand.
Har ki Pauri is a renowned ghat on the banks of Ganga River in Haridwar, Uttarakhand. The ghat is also a major landmark in the city that witnesses thousands of footfalls on a daily basis. The words “Har ki Pauri” means the foot steps of Lord Shiva. Therefore, legend about the place suggests that Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu visited the Brahmakund at Har Ki Pauri in the vedic times, hence the place got its name.
A large foot print on one of the walls here is said to be that of Lord Vishnu's. Har ki Pauri is also believed to be the place where Ganga river leaves the mountains and enters the north Indian plains. Though the place remains crowded by thousands of tourists and devotees throughout the year, Kumbh Mela (a fair held in every 12 years) witnesses maximum and rather uncountable visits by tourists including leisure travellers, pilgrims and photographers. It is a grand affair when the entire city gets decked up with lights and flowers.
It is good to know that:
- Har ki Pauri is only 5 kilometres away from the city of Haridwar,
- Jolly Grant Airport is around 45 kilometres from here,
- there are a plethora of budget and expensive hotels located around the ghat that can accommodate hundreds of pilgrims,
- food stalls are also located along the ghat, and
- the evening aarti at Har ki Pauri is a spectacular sight that should not be missed during a trip to Haridwar.
Hotels near Har Ki Pauri
Hotel Har Ki Pauri
Hemlata Modi Oct 10, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Ankita Haldar Oct 20, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Best SeasonOct - April